It’s easy for Doss students to participate!
- Read during winter break, Dec. 21 thru Jan. 6.
- Record duration on the log.
- Reach required goals. Return log by Friday Jan. 11, 2013.
- Rewards available for all Winter Readers who reach their goal!
Prek, Kindergarten, 1st, and 2nd graders: 20 minutes each day for 10 days
3rd, 4th, and 5th graders: 300 minutes or more
For more information about the Winter Reading Program and to download the Reading Log visit this page.Filed under RAD | Comments Off
Read Across Doss (RAD) welcomes 3 nationally-acclaimed authors to Doss on Oct. 26. Authors Jon Scieszka, Adam Rex and Tim Green will team up for a high-spirited, pep-rally type presentation to fourth and fifth graders.
Signed books are available to any Doss student and may be ordered online via credit card until Oct. 19 in the PTA Online Store. Check and cash orders may be placed by submitting this order form to the PTA office by noon on Oct. 19.
- Through a generous sponsorship by HarperCollins Publishing and BookPeople, authors Jon Scieszka, Adam Rex and Tim Green are coming to Doss. Scieszka was named the nation’s first National Ambassador for Young People’s Literature by the Library of Congress, is the bestselling author of more than twenty-five books for kids, and has been awarded over 30 national level awards for his books and children’s literacy.
- Doss is the only school in central Texas that is getting to host this major event.
- Librarians Bonnie Lang/Jane Willis are willing to do multiple lesson plans around these books in advance over the month.
- Date: October 26th, 1:30 – 2:30 p.m.
- Location: Doss Cafeteria
- Fun, interactive, high-spirited, pep-rally style event to engender a love and fondness of reading.
- An author will pair up with each grade in a friendly 4th vs. 5th grade trivia and author cheering competition, followed by a brief Q&A with the authors.
This PTA committee promotes literacy events and activities. This month our RADical Reminder is that September is National Library Card Month. Visit the neighborhood public library branch, Old Quarry, to sign up for a library card. Children can also have their own card! New to the neighborhood? Old Quarry is located between HEB and the post office.
Special events this month include:
Old Quarry is hosting a puppet show, “Grandmother’s Story”, at 3:30 PM on Tuesday, September 11. The show is recommended for ages 5 and up and the description is as follows: “Two Native American Tlingit children are endangered when one of them mocks the Moon. A benevolent Grandmother in the Sky Country protects the children from the angry Moon and helps them find their way home.”
Librarian Ms. Debbie would love to see Doss Owls in attendance at this special afternoon program. (Also, Grandparents Day is recognized Sunday September 9….celebrate with this cultural literacy event!).
Love books, authors, and illustrators? How about event planning and decorating? Join Read Across Doss volunteers as we celebrate reading with our Doss Owls! For more information see the Read Across Doss Committee page.Filed under RAD | Comments Off
Amelia Bedelia Author to Visit Doss!
Read Across Doss (RAD) welcomes another exciting author, Herman Parish, on May 1, 2012. Second grade students are invited to hear him discuss his latest book, Amelia Bedelia’s First Vote, which chronicles the young Amelia’s romp through the school election process.
Signed books are available to any Doss student and may be ordered online via credit card at the Doss PTA website until April 25. Check and cash orders can be placed by submitting the attached pdf form to the PTA office by noon on April 25: Order Form.
For questions, please contact Karen Prairie at email@example.com.Filed under RAD | Comments Off
Author Nick Bruel (author of the Bad Kitty books) will be visiting Doss on January 17, 2012.RAD | Comments Off
Doss welcomes award-winning author and illustrator Mike Artell on February 2, 2012. Grades K thru 5th are invited to this exciting presentation in the cafeteria. Mike Artell has authored Three Little Cajun Pigs and also science books about weather and space. His newest books are about football athletes. Other books include cartooning and yes…joke, riddle, and tongue twister books!RAD | Comments Off
READ ACROSS DOSS (RAD)
RADical Winter Break Reading Program: You’ve heard of a summer reading program. Now Doss Owls have a Winter Reading Program!
Read from December 20th to January 5th,
Record duration of reading, and reach grade level goals.
Return the log to the library on or before Thursday 1-12-12 for your reward.
RADical Winter Readers win hot cocoa mugs and more while supplies last!!
Kindergarten, 1st, and 2nd graders: 20 minutes for 10 days
3rd, 4th, and 5th graders: 300 minutes
RADical Reading Log (Word Document)
More Information about the Winter Break Reading Program (PDF document)
Choose to participate and be a RADical Winter Reader!Filed under RAD | Comments Off
RADical Reminder: N is for November and Non-Fiction Books!
Encourage your child to read a non-fiction book this month.
Science Fair is right around the corner… Read a science book for ideas and inspiration!
Thanksgiving is upon us…Read a history book for enriching traditions or even a cook book for enhancing nutrition!
Our Doss library is newly updated with many non-fiction series for all levels of reading. AND yes, our Book Fair does have many non-fiction books to purchase!Filed under RAD | Comments Off