Good afternoon Doss parents and community. I hope you’re having a wonderful day.
We have less than three weeks before the beginning of the 2020-2021 school year! While we would love to have the entire Doss community back on campus, know we will continue offering everything you love about Doss in the virtual setting. Despite the statement by Ken Paxton, we are still planning on August 18th as the first day of virtual instruction. If that changes, I will let you all know.
I have been incredibly proud of the work our staff has done to this point in preparation. It has truly been a team effort. Our staff continue to meet with me on a weekly basis to get much needed updates and to focus their efforts in preparation for our first day of instruction. Many have been partaking in online learning sessions of the summer to continue to grow as online educators. Mrs. Sheridan and Ms. Wankel have been hard at work finalizing scheduling plans. You can expect to have campus schedule published by August 6th.
As always, please do not hesitate to email or message me with questions. If you missed it earlier this week, I also started a Padlet to help answer questions in between principal coffee sessions. See below for our current Padlet.
- District will take attendance asynchronously this year. This means 3-5 will not have to have a minimum of 180 minutes of synchronous learning.
- Synchronous Learning Minimum Expectations
- Pre-k and Kinder: 60 min/day
- 1st-5th: 90 min/day
A Message from Pat, Doss Registrar
- Having an accurate email address on file for each student’s primary parent/guardian assists the district with having the ability to communicate and share information more expeditiously.
- With the continuously changing virtual environment and need to effectively communicate to families, this piece of data is one of our essential and critical items.
- Need to communicate with Pat? Pat Minford email
- Review C&I: Standards and YPG from Weekly calendar
Teaching Standards or YPGs
- District released some of the teaching standards for the year to our teachers.
- Teachers are reviewing them for implementation purposes.
Virtual Schedule Release Date
- Likely to release schedules the week of August 3-6. Expect morning meeting, enrichment lessons for all, and support sessions either at the end of day or integrated in to scheduled small groups.
Doss Elementary Modernization Celebration
- We are proud to partner with our communications department to have the following celebrations for our modernization. Dates and specifics will be shared soon.
- Virtual tour of the school with spirit item giveaways
- Picture opportunity at the school with a hashtag
- If you ordered school supplies through Doss, we will have a schedule set for August 17th for you to pick them up along with spirit wear.
- More information will be shared from the PTA.
Day Care Options for School Aged Children
- We are proud to partner with the following day care centers to provide you options for school aged children while they work in the virtual setting.
- All, with the exception of the Children’s Courtyard, offer free/reduced tuition for families who qualify. (Note: Children’s Courtyard will offer soon).
- In addition, iKids is offering tutors for pod learning.
- Doss is looking to distribute technology (Chromebooks, i Pads, and WiFi hotspots) directly from campus in order to speed up the process of getting devices in our student’s hands. More information will be shared with families once we receive the devices.
Students with Exceptionalities and Virtual Learning
- Teachers going to training next week to support their understanding of how to serve students with exceptionailites in the virtual setting.
- Parent should expect to receive a phone call from case managers on August 11.
Campus Safety Update
- When students return to campus they can expect Air filtration devices in hallways to support with improving air quality.
- 2nd and below will wear face shields….3-5 face coverings.
- Campus will have at least 30% back log of PPE. Daily screening by a health app.
- Everyone will be screened upon enter into the building.