Good afternoon Doss parents and community! I hope your Friday is going well.
We have an one of the VERY best starts to a school year in recent memory. Our students seem extremely excited to be in class learning from their teachers and friends. We are all so happy to start the year as mostly “normal” as in years past. It was great to see many of you on the first day of school and appreciate all of the parent volunteers so far, especially in the cafeteria during lunch. I look forward to many more weeks of happy faces throughout this year!All Texas schools received their accountability ratings earlier this week. I am proud and pleased to share the following results. Doss went from an overall 95 rating (2019) to a 96 (2022)! This is HUGE particularly because we went through learning loss of the pandemic. We also received distinctions in the following four categories. This is a very big deal and shows the dedication and expertise of our teachers and staff. Check out more details at Txschools.gov
- Achievement in ELA
- Achievement in Math
- Top 25% Closing the Gaps
- Post-Secondary Readiness
Next week begins our first round of Back to School Nights with Pre-k, kinder, 1st, and 2nd. This is a great time for you (parent only) to come see your child’s classroom and learn about routines and procedures. It is also a great time to ask questions you may have as well. Our first session will take place from 5:30-6:10 and second session from 6:20-7:00. The 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade Back to School Night will take place the following week on Thursday, September 1 at the same time.
Lastly, we appreciate everyone’s patience and support as we experienced our first rainy day dismissal yesterday. If you are new to Doss (or Austin), we typically only have to do this a few times each year. Since we do this so infrequently, we are still learning to make this process more efficient and safe for our students, staff, and families. Below are a few updates we have made:
- We will send notification to parents via Blend/Konstella by 2:30 P.M. at the latest if we initiate Rainy Day Dismissal.
- We realize sending at 3:00 is too late and parents are already in line.
- Rainy Day Dismissal Map
- Be sure to communicate with your child’s teacher immediately if there is a change in after school care.
- Be sure to talk to your child about any changes they need to make, if any, if it rains (example, students who ride/walk to school, after school care that is outside).
- We ask that parents picking up pre-k, kinder, and 1st grade (those walking) stay away from the front doors during rainy day dismissal so our students and teachers have enough space to move around.
- We ask that parents picking up 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade students (those walking up) stay out of the vehicle drop off area to provide more room for staff and students and so we may deliver students to their parents vehicles efficiently.
I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend. I look forward to seeing everyone on Monday! Stay dry!
- Birthday Celebrations
- We look forward to celebrating student birthdays with you!
- Students make come to the office to say their name over the morning announcements.
- Please know we do not allow food or drink for birthdays due to AISD and Doss policy.
- AISD MEAC Membership Drive
- The Multilingual Education Advisory Committee (MEAC) is looking for new members. The MEAC works to inform and advise the school district on matters related to students who are language learners through broad-based community representation.
- The committee has three specific functions:
- Help the school district make decisions on program planning, funding, staffing, designing, and evaluation of the district’s language programs.
- Consult with Austin ISD about concerns, reports, and recommendations to be submitted to the Superintendent or Board of Trustees.
- Help develop resources that educate parents, the community, and the district on issues related to students in the district’s language programs.
- Membership is a two-year commitment. If you, and/or your campus community of teachers and parents are interested in participating, please fill out the Standard Application form.
- Eagle Scout Project Completed
- We had a former Doss Owl (Ryan Rivers) who completed his Eagle Scout project at Doss!
- Check out the attached pictures.
- Thank you Ryan!
- AISD Early Release Dates and Times
- Friday, October 7: 1:30 (Breakfast and Lunch provided at regular times)
- Friday, February 17: 1:30 (Breakfast and Lunch provided at regular times)
- AISD Equity Advisory Committee