Good afternoon Doss families and community. I hope you all are well on this very hot and humid Friday.
As stated during this morning’s principal coffee, AISD will roll out your student’s Blend course to you on September 5th. Our teachers have been working hard, through many Blend hurdles, to be fully prepared for your students, virtually, on September 8. I’ve asked our teachers to make time, if needed, to meet with you individually to help answer any additional questions you may have next week. This is not required, but only if you need the support. Our goal is to ensure you are ready to go by the first day of virtual instruction from home.
We also discussed the Austin Public Health guidelines for reopening schools. While we are mainly focusing our attention on virtual learning, this document provides a very good insight as to what you can expect when students are finally about to return, tentatively, on October 5th. I am fully confident in our ability to provide a safe learning environment when the time comes. We will be ready.
I look forward to seeing everyone during next week’s Meet The Teacher drive through! While I have a few meetings scheduled during these hours, I should be available for most sessions. Our teachers are also excited to wave at you all from the curb. This should be an great way to start the year! See below for more information.
Questions/Comments? Parent?Principal Padlet
Where’s The Bus?
- When schools do reopen for students, you can use the following page to understand which bus you child may take or where the bus is when they are in route to the specific pick up and drop off areas.
- Webpage: https://www.austinisd.org/transportation
- Need help? Contact Melinda Flores
- Please read the linked Attendance PDF for reminders for attendance
- Need help or have questions? Contact Melinda Flores
Parent/Principal Coffee 9/4 @ 10:30 A.M.
- Our next principal coffee will include:
- An update from Doss counselor Natalie Perez
- A walkthrough of the new and improved Blend Doss Community Course
- Dr. Steenport’s welcome back message for staff.
- Additional information for Virtual Learning beginning September 8.
- Note: PPC sessions will use the same login each week and will take place each Friday from 10:30-11:30.
Park Clean Up (8/29) Rescheduled
- The parent clean up will be rescheduled once all temporary fences at Doss have been removed. It will most like take place in September.
- More information will be shared soon.
Blend and Zoom Support in Various Languages
- How To Use Zoom Video Conferencing
Access to Parent Blend
This video demonstrates how parents will login to BLEND and use the different features.
Day Care Options for School Aged Children
- We are proud to partner with the following day care centers to provide you options for school aged children while they work in the virtual setting.
- All, with the exception of the Children’s Courtyard, offer free/reduced tuition for families who qualify. (Note: Children’s Courtyard will offer soon).
- Leaps and Bounds is now added to this list. I am waiting on pricing information and will update this post when received.
- I have also contacted each center to ensure they open prior to 7:45 so our student’s do not miss out on virtual learning at begins at 7:45.
- In addition, iKids is offering tutors for pod learning.
- My Friend’s House
- Jewish Community Center (JCC)
- Children’s Courtyard (The Prep Lab)
- iKids (Pod Learning Tutors)
- Idea Labs
Meet the Teacher/Distribution Event Details:
Mark your calendars for a Doss “Drive-By” Meet the Teacher and Distribution Event next week! This event will take place at the new Doss campus “driveway” on Monday, August 31st to Thursday, September 3rd. You will get a chance to wave to your teachers and grab your Doss spirit gear and Sprout school supplies (if ordered) along with other school items like daily planners for ALL upper-grade students; Gallery Greats material for virtual learning; and “basic supplies” handed out by some grade-levels! Bring your outstanding library books to return in a drop box!
Click HERE for more info and please refer to the schedule below as your grade-level teachers will be present at this time. Click HERE to view a map with distribution information. To insure traffic is moving, please follow the traffic arrows marked on the map and use the North Hills entrance, as noted on the map.
- Monday, August 31st 8:30-9:30: PreK Students
- Monday, August 31st 10:00-11:00: Kindergarten Students
- Tuesday, September 1st 8:30-9:30: 1st Grade Students
- Tuesday, September 1st 10:00-11:00: 2nd Grade Students
- Wednesday, September 2nd 8:30-9:30: 3rd Grade Students
- Wednesday, September 2nd 10:00-11:00: 4th Grade Students
- Thursday, September 3rd 8:30-9:30: 5th Grade Students
- Thursday, September 3rd 10:00-11:00: Make-Up Distribution Time (no teachers present)
*Please refer to the post below with 3 additional pick-up options!*
Additional Pick-Up Options of Supplies and Spirit Gear:
If you are unable to attend the MTT/Distribution Event next week, we will have 3 additional options available for you.
- 1. You can ask a friend to pick up your items at the MTT/Distribution event, BUT it must be during your grade-level time. Example: If you have a 1st grader and 3rd grader, a friend with a 1st grader can grab your 1st grade items and a friend with a 3rd grader can grab your 3rd grade items. This mainly pertains to the Sprout school supplies, as they will only be available by grade-level each day. If it’s Doss spirit gear, the grade-level will not matter, and they can be picked up at any time.
- 2. Wonderful Jeff Russell has offered to set up supplies at the school on Monday, September 7th (Labor Day) from 3:00-5:00 PM to distribute to families or family friends. Any grade-level can be picked up at this time. Please text him at 512-415-9809 to let him know your last name and grade-level(s). He can pull the supplies and have them ready for you. He’ll be set up in front of the new school in the drive-way/parking lot.
- 3. You can collect your items at the new Doss campus beginning on Thursday, September 10th. You can text the number 512-856-9187 during the hours of 9-11 AM and 2-4 PM, and a Doss employee will bring your items to your car! Curbside at its finest! Let them know the student name and what items you are picking up!